The wireframing process is an essential aspect of web development. It’s the part where developers create a skeletal structure for a website prior to the design stage. It helps establish how the website will look once visual elements have been added in.
Wireframes usually focus on functionality, layout and structure but an ideal wireframe should also include SEO. Is it necessary to integrate SEO into your plan? Theoretically, no, but in a world where online visibility is paramount, SEO can be highly beneficial to your overall website.
Here’s everything you need to know about SEO wireframe and how it can improve your website.
The Importance of an SEO Wireframe
(Image Source: elements.envato.com)
Generally, wireframing involves creating a simplified, visual representation of a website’s layout. It takes place during the early stages of website development, giving your client a rough idea of how the website will turn out.
SEO elements are not usually a standard part of traditional wireframing but it has become increasingly important. This is due to online presence and how it can either make or break your business in this day and age.
As more emphasis is being placed on online visibility, it’s easy to see how SEO plays an important role in the website development process.
SEO Wireframing Benefits
- Clear SEO Strategy: SEO wireframing forces you to develop a clear SEO strategy from the outset. You can identify target keywords, content placement, and internal linking structures that align with your SEO goals.
- Improved Rankings: By optimising your website’s structure and content placement in the wireframe stage, you set the foundation for better search engine rankings. This can lead to increased organic traffic and visibility.
- Cost Efficiency: It’s far more cost-effective to address SEO concerns during wireframing than to make major changes after the website is fully developed. Early identification and resolution of SEO issues can save you time and resources.
- User-Centric Design: SEO wireframes promote user-centric design. Search engines reward websites that offer a great user experience, and wireframing helps ensure your website is user-friendly and easy to navigate.
- Responsive Design: Mobile responsiveness is just as important as desktop responsiveness and SEO wireframes will allow you to plan for both.
This is especially important considering the large volume of users that come from mobile devices.
How to Create an SEO Wireframe
(Image Source: elements.envato.com)
A wireframe requires thoughtful planning and collaboration between developers, designers and SEO specialists. It’s like the pre plan before the actual pre plan! Let’s take a look at the step by step guide to creating an SEO wireframe:
Figuring Out a Structure
First things first, it’s important to determine the structure of your website and how each page should look. Ask yourself “what purpose do these pages serve?” and how can you ensure a strong user experience.
Remember, a friendly website structure will make it easier for both users and search engines to find their way around your website.
Conduct Keyword Research
Keyword research is the basis of every good SEO strategy. And when it comes to wireframing, keyword mapping can play a crucial role in shaping site navigation. This includes incorporating heavily searched keywords into the right pages.
This will also help you find keywords that align with your target audience search intent. By leveraging the power of these keywords, you’ll inherently improve your website’s chances of ranking!
Combine it Together
Once you’ve established the website’s structure and conducted keyword research, it’s time to combine them together. Start by determining a page hierarchy and arrange pages based on their importance and relevance to your target audience.
Next, start placing keywords strategically within each page including page titles, headings, subheading and content sections. Additionally, consider optimising meta titles and descriptions for each page to ensure they are both user and search engine-friendly.
You now have an SEO optimised wireframe and are ready to move forward with the design phase. Implementing SEO strategies at this stage will go a long way. While you may not see results off the bat, your efforts will set a solid foundation for future success.
Wireframing is an integral part of web development. It’s basically a blueprint of how a website will turn out once visual elements are added in. However, in today’s digital landscape, it is not uncommon to integrate SEO tactics into your wireframing process.
And that’s where SEO wireframing comes in. An SEO wireframe ensures that your website not only looks good, but also performs well in search engines. So don’t forget to include SEO elements the next time you develop a website wireframe.
It just might help you or your client succeed in this competitive landscape!
Click here for more digital marketing related topics and other entrepreneurial information.